The General Council of the Order met from the 1st to the 14th and on the 19th of May, presided by the Prior General, Alejandro Moral Antón.
Among other themes, the following were discussed.
New houses: The erection of two new communities in Kenya were approved:
Augustinian Community, Holy Family Parish, Mbwiru, diocese of Meru, Chuka-Meru, and Augustinian Comunity, Saint Luke’s Kebeneti Parish, Kericho,
Admissions and Dispensations: Approval was given for various friars to be admitted to solemn profession, presbiteral ordination and other ministries. Approval was also given for the dispensation from vows for various religious.
Chapters: Approval was given for the opening date and place for the Ordinary Chapter of the Vicariate of the Congo. (February 20, 2018, in Kinshasa).
Generalate Houses: Discussions regarding some of the needs of the communities that fall under the direction of the General Curia.
Circumscriptions: Information and consideration of the electoral process in the Provinces of Mexico and Colombia for the election of the Priors Provincial. The nomination of the Vicar for the Vicariate of Viena. Discussion over the project of agreement between the circumscriptions of Chile and Bolivia.
Gathering of the newly elected Major Superiors: The gathering of the newly elected Major Superiors will take place from September 25-27, 2017. The assistants general Edward Daleng and Patricio Villalba will organize the details of this gathering.
Luther Congress: Information was shared regarding the program, guests, and speakers for the Congress on Martin Luther. This congress will take place in the Augustinianum from November 9-11, 2017.
Discussion on determination 6 from the CGI 2016: A work plan was approved for the study of a revisión of the structures of the Order. This plan will be prepared for the General Chapter of 2019.
Economic Themes: Diverse economic themes were presented by the General Economo: Scholarships for students in Saint Monica, contracts, help, maintenance, work of the Foundation, Augustinians Across the World.
* John Flynn: Presented the new Catalogus of the Order, recognizing the assistance he received from P. Fernando del Rio.
* Patricio Villalba: Canonical visitation with the Prior General to the vicariate of Argentina and Uruguay; meeting of OALA, discussion on the possibility of a Theological Center of Study in Latin America.
* Anthony Banks: Canonical visit with the Prior General to the Province of Australia, the Delegation of Korea and in Vietnam, the meeting of the English speaking provincials, reunión of OSAAP.
* Edward Daleng: Themes from the Vicariates of the Congo and of Kenya; themes from the community in Anaba.
* Franz Klein: Reunion of the federation of Belgium-Germany; Provincial Chapter of English-Scottish Province, petition of suspended regime, discussions with the Province of Ireland.
* Joseph Farrell: Themes regarding the Generalate Houses; Congress at Villanova University for the Augustinian Centers of Education (July 2017); meeting for the African formators in Nairobi, organized by the Commission for Augustinian Initial Formation in collaboration with the Institute of Augustinian Spirituality; Web page for the Ratio Institutionis; Convocation of the three Augustinian Provinces in North America (Villanova University, June 2017)
* Luis Marín: Canonical visit with the Prior General to the Provinces of Castille and Matritense; the upcoming visit to the Province of Malta, themes in the Italian province, information on the Spirituality Institute Course in Spanish, Program of renewal for the monastery in Lecceto, work and topics regarding the Federation in Spain
* Alejandro Moral:Information regarding the meeting with Pope Francis on May 8, 2017.
Next meeting of the Council: 18-30 September 2017 in Rome.