General Council - Plenary Session February 2017
From the 6th to the 13th of February 2017, the General Council of the Order met in Rome, presided by the Prior General, Alejandro Moral Antón, OSA.
Among other themes, the following were treated:
Supression of houses: Petition of the Vicariate of Argentina and Uruguay and the Province of Spain regarding the supression of the community of Rosario, Argentina, and of the Province of Villanova regarding the supression of the community of St. Elizabeth Seton Parish Friary, Golden Gate, FL. The Prior General will suppress both communities.
Admissions and Dispensations: Admission to the order of diaconate for various friars, affiliations to the Order, dispensing of vows.
Provincial Chapters: Approval of the beginning date and place of the celebration of the Ordinary Chapter of the Province of Mexico, (May 29, 2017 at the Convent of St. Monica in Tlalpan) and approval of the electoral groupings. Approval of the beginning date and place of the celebration of the Ordinary Chapter of the Province of Chicago (June 4, 2018 at Saint Rita of Cascia Catholic High School, Chicago). Approval of the beginning date and place of the celebration of the Ordinary Chapter of the Province of Ireland (June 30, 2017 at Dromantine Retreat and Conference Centre, Newry, Co. Down). Approval of the beginning date and place of the celebration of the Intermediate Chapter of the Province of Germany, (June 5, 2017 at Himmelspforten, Wurzburg). Approval of the electoral groupings of the Province of Castile.
Acts: Approval of the Acts and the nominations from the Ordinary Chapter of the Province of Quito, celebrated November 14-18, 2016; the Acts from the intermediate chapter of the California Province, celebrated January 25-26, 2017; the Acts and nominations of the Ordinary Chapter of the Vicariate of Apurimac, celebrated January 9-13, 2017 and approval of the modifications to the Statutes. Approval of the Acts and nominations of the first Chapter of the Vicariate of India, celebrated January 27-29, 2017.
Federation of Provinces in Spain: Approval of the modifications to the Statutes of the Spanish Federation and the Statutes of the Delegation of Cuba, which will be dependent on this Federation.
Nominations: Juan Provecho (HIS) and Vito Logoteto (ITA) have been nominated to be members of the Youth Pastoral Commission. Pasquale Cormio (ITA) has been named regent of the Augustinian Chair at the Augustinian Patristic Institute.
Dialogue and Discussion: Dialogue on the reality, objectives and perspectives of Vicariates as they prepare to be new Provinces; Federation possibilities in view of Mission projects in various parts of the world; Dialogue on diverse themes regarding the friars, communities, and particular questions presented to the General Council. Themes regarding Augustinian nuns and monasteries were also treated.
Information from the Assistant Generals:
* Anthony Banks: Presentation on the Asia Pacific region (Japan, Philippines, Korea, Indonesia, Vietnam, India, Myanmar, Australia); Activity of the Commissions of Justice and Peace, Vocations, Economy.
* Joseph Farrell: Convocation of the Provinces in North America, June 11-16 2017 at Villanova University; Activity of the Commissions on Augustinian Centers of Education (Congress at Villanova University 24-28 July, 2017) and Initial Formation.
* Edward Daleng: Visit to Tanzania. Activity of the Commissions on Evangelization and Pastoral Ministry and for Youth Pastoral Ministry
* Luis Marín: Information on the Monastery of Lecceto and on the Spanish Federation; Activity of the Augustinian Spirituality Institute. (The beginning of the Spirituality course in Spanish).
* Patricio Villalba: Chapters and Visits in Latin America; meeting of OALA; information on the intercircumscriptional novitiate in Lima (Perú).
* Franz Klein: Visits to Prague, Brno y Vienna; Themes of assistance; Themes regarding his new service as Economo General.
* John Flynn: Working on the edits of the new Catalogus of the Order. Other themes.
* Alejandro Moral: Information on the canonical visitations.
Determinations and Decisions of the Intermediate General Chapter: Dialogue and analysis of the approved determinations of the Intermediate General Chapter celebrated in Abuja (Nigeria) in September 2016.
Economic themes: Diverse themes were presented by the Economo General; Scholarships for students at Collegio Santa Monica; Works in progress.
Next meeting of the Council: May 1 to 14, 2017 in Rome.